9.21.2009

Musings on Mondays

i love mondays.

i wake up to watch a football game. and then i head down to my yoga class. When I come home, make myself (or cook -- gasp!) lunch, spend the rest of the afternoon reading blogs, surfing the web or do something crafty. I feel like I accomplish so much on a Monday.


fried rice for lunch today


This morning I awoke to very good news-- Bears vs Steelers 17-14. And watched the 2nd quarter of the Giants and Cowboys game. I had to miss the 2nd half (which was the more exciting half) to go to my Ashtanga class.

I felt especially good in class today because I suddenly became aware of how much I have improved. I realised after 3 years of practice that with each practice I become more and more aware of the different parts of my body, how to isolate and work each muscle, build core strength and flexibility. As i attempted the bridge pose today I felt a big stretch on my lower back. In the past, that was not a good sign, because that meant I had overstretched and would be plagued with a back ache in the next few days. But, these days, that pain (or rather, ache) is just a gentle reminder from my body to take it easy on that pose. Not only do I not get that backache, I realised my lower back muscles are much stronger.

In the past, when I do forward bends and folds, the back of my knees would hurt bad. I have come to realise that is overextension on my part and is very bad on my knees. Now, i've figured out that if i tighten my thigh muscles (which was what I was supposed to do in the first place) the pain disappears and I work the right muscles at the same time.

I am constantly astounded at how much I gain with each yoga practice. Even after 3 years of practice I still find out something new about my body each time. I am determined to keep this practice even after I stop attending classes. Now I just have to work on my discipline. The mind is so weak and it always manages to talk me out of practice.




On another note:

Crafting on a Sunday, I decided to whip out the pattern (courtesy of Spool Sewing ) I kept for a long LONG time. Using scraps of cloth (mostly from J's shirts) I made two stuffed birdies! Still not perfect, I'm wondering how to stuff the birds without them looking too lumpy... I will make more! It's really fun and it doesn't require a machine! I think that was the reason I started on it in the first place. I was too lazy to lug my machine out and looked for the easiest craft I can manage on a sleepy Sunday.

Ta-daa!

1 comment:

Ting said...

jie jie! i just LOVE to read ur blog u know tt? i love the way you describe your feelings and actions and the things you do! you just gave me.. or rather.. inspired me to some random ideas which i just thought of which i can make as christmas prezzies for my church friends and my darling! hee..

btw.. u do know i'm no longer attending Living Sanctuary Brethren Church rite (e one at Lorong Ahsoo)? i have been attending wenyao's church, Glory Presbyterian Church since July? :) by the grace of God, i'm able to settle down and in the church well even without wenyao by my side physically after he'd left for the states in Aug. :)

if weather permit, he'll be touching down in sg this 22nd Dec morning! i'll DEFINITELY be there to receive him! :) but 2 days before, u'll be arriving in Sg too rite? :)